Strive Dev will resume once we are comfortable with our Roblox status. We have not given up on Strive by any means. We are simply making the smartest move we can, which is to focus on Roblox right now. Have no fear, we will return to Strive.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Stages of Development

Now that Ethan has showed off most of the completed work on the Inventory and Crafting systems, perhaps I should explain what we're currently working on, as well as what we plan to do next. I also want to address our future plans for the game that aren't directly related to development.

For the last month and a half of development, we've been laying down the basic modular systems and GUIs that make up the core aspects of Strive's gameplay. The inventory, crafting, and player interaction systems must be in a solid state before we can start adding mass amounts of content.

Now, both the inventory and crafting systems are complete, or near complete. But we have yet to discuss player interaction to readers. There's very little to say on the topic. Interaction refers to the player's ability to utilize their surroundings. Equipping tools, harvesting resources, carrying items, using items, and navigating the area are all considered under this category. Naturally, with the completion of the inventory, the player has the ability to interact with items to some degree. With that alone, player interaction can be considered near-complete, and most other forms of interaction are implemented already. (player movement, etc.)

Currently, Ethan is working on finishing up the foundation item side of the crafting system. After that, some minor features (such as the requirement to have a specific tool to harvest certain resources) will have to be implemented into player interaction.

Once these three core aspects of the game are solidified, we're going to focus on some of the simple game features that make Strive feel more game-like. In this stage we will focus on things like enabling food and water to actually rejuvenate the player's stats when consumed, as well as adding a day/night cycle with proper passage of time.

Then the fun really begins, as we will begin adding content like more harvestable items, more crafting recipes, and more environment detail. Eventually we will give the player options to make improved shelters, watercraft, traps, tools, and weapons. We will add varieties of fish, birds, insects and other animals. Implementation of the health and damage system as well as medical items will also be a focus, not to mention sounds, animations, and work on our dream of a procedurally generated world.

Sometime during this stage, we will consider the possibility of putting up Strive on Kickstarter, in an attempt to receive funding to advance our development.


As far as what we would offer to backers for Strive, we are unsure at this time. Regardless, we're here to make a great game. We'll do anything to see Strive succeed, and with the encroaching need for funding I can imagine we'll be cutting some awesome deals for players who want to get their hands on some Alpha and Beta versions of the game.

Until next time, thanks for reading. Stay tuned for updates on our progress.

27 comments:

  1. Very excited! Good luck on getting funding with kickstarter Gus and zolar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, This is gonna be great, Since I was a fan of Minecraft, but dont play much because they took the formula that everyone loved, and killed it. A survival game that is realistic is something I have been looking for in a game for a long time, and with already quite large progress in only a couple of weeks, I swear its absolute sorcery! I wish you good luck on the future development of your game, and will be sure to pick it up in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for this!! Good luck Gus and Keth, I want you to have me surprised!
    -spicyhunter3 on ROBLOX-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were can we play it when its done?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When can we expect the beta to be released?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Developing Strive is taking an unpredictable amount of time. I cannot accurately predict when the game will be ready for the public to test and play. And if I did guess when, then everyone would hold it against me when we inevitably miss the date. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

      Delete
    2. As soon as it goes public, you need to contact some youtubers and see if they will get the ball rolling on the popularity.

      Delete
    3. If you are going to contact some, try Frankieonpc1080p ( Famous for Dayz Gameplay )

      Delete
    4. I will be more than happy to make a youtube series when it comes out. I am a beginning youtuber and i dont have a certain type of game i play though most of my vids are roblox and horror games and....horror games on roblox :P masterlesschief

      Delete
    5. gus just a quick question. when the game comes out what types of mobs can we expect?

      -armyranger21579-

      Delete
    6. Will there be any "mobs"(I hate using the word mobs)? Will there be any physical threats other than the environment? It would really make gameplay tense. If you will make predators, could you also implement a "sensor system" just like in Apoc Rising? Also cone of vision. I'm asking for alot here.

      -Zombie639, Marauder of Apoc Rising-

      Delete
  6. Looking good so far guys! Can't wait for more news on Strive. On a side note, any plans to use Strive's engine to make a Unity-based Apoc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought about it, but recreating Apoc would be a lot more difficult believe it or not. We probably won't do it anytime soon, or at all. Mostly because there's plenty of zombie games out there.

      Delete
    2. Makes sense Gus. Thanks for your continued replies to my comments/questions.

      Delete
  7. So is this going to be a Post apocolyptic survival game? Such as Rust or DayZ? Just without zombies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...wilderness survival game that takes place in a tropical setting." Where did you get the idea that this was post apocalyptic?

      Delete
    2. Probably because he's played Apoc, so he probably believes that everything you make is post-apocalyptic; also, post-apocalyptic generally sounds good in a title (though I'm not sure why...)

      Delete
  8. Another thing. If you guys need help with making banners or anything graphic wise. You can feel free to ask me. Just send me a PM as I am getting experienced in Graphics Design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zombies are really repetitive. Hopefully something unique will be added to the survival genre. :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there any chance this game will be multiplayer?

    ReplyDelete
  11. BlackDragon100bcJuly 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM

    So i Got A ? is it gonna be big in mb or gb????

    ReplyDelete
  12. contact Markiplier to play. he plays a lot of unity engine games

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cant wait to play this game! sounds good guys Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man, so excited. I was pumped when I heard about this, getting bored of APOC rising now, especially since the only thing I do on it is Make it splash on noobs with my Mk48 and other Military weapons. Almost had my Marauder badge today. But that's off topic. Back to the point, I can't wait for this game to come out. Man, as soon as I heard about this game on ROBLOX I was like "Gusmanak+newgame=Instant rise in place visits (People playhing it) and tix." Can't wait for it to come out, best scripter I've ever seen. Hope you can make some more like this in the future on ROBLOX. Cya. -TheMarineSniper23 on ROBLOX-

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cant wait I remember the first time I thought a game dev should make a realistic survival game and I looked up "Wilderness survival games" and I got nothing I looked up again on September 22 and I saw the game dev part 1 and I watched it I loved it so i'm glad that someone shares my interest in survival stuff and I will gladly get this game

    ReplyDelete